Monday

I've Wasted a Lot of Money

I’ve wasted a lot of money in my lifetime. 

This may surprise you, because I’m naturally very frugal. Anyone who knows me knows I hate wasting time, and I hate wasting money. Time and money are too precious to be misspent. 

This is why I’ve lived frugally all my life. I set my thermostat too low in the wintertime and too high in the summertime. I dry laundry on a clothesline. I hand wash dishes instead of using a dishwasher. I clip coupons, shop sales, and reduce, reuse, and recycle. I do anything I can to save money. 

But I also love wasting it. 

Mary did, too. 

Martha and Lazarus’ sister, Mary had a bottle of fragrant oil worth an entire year’s salary. In today’s terms, it was worth forty thousand, sixty thousand, or maybe one hundred thousand dollars. She’d probably saved for years to purchase this outrageously expensive perfume. 

And now she was preparing to waste it. Fritter it away. Blow it. 

“And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as (Jesus) sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on his head” (Mark 14:3). 

Her friends tried to talk her out of it. They “criticized her sharply,” and lamented among themselves, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted?” She could have sold it for lots of money and given the money to the poor. Instead of doing something practical and responsible with her treasure, she wasted it. WASTED it by lavishing it on Jesus. 

My husband and I have been married for over 30 years. Over the course of three decades, we’ve similarly wasted more money than we can count. This is shameful, really, since for most of our married life my husband has been a blue-collar worker, and I’ve been a stay-at-home mom with a part-time job. Of all people, we shouldn’t be wasting money. It’s too dear and hard to come by. 

If we’d kept our hard-earned money instead of wasting it, we might not have driven the older van that embarrassed our children so badly. Or lived in the house that was smaller than all their friends’ homes. Or gone to Disney World more than once. We might have had nicer clothes, newer electronics, and a country club membership. 

Instead we wasted our money by giving to our local church, supporting missionaries, and sending poor kids to camp. We’ve helped rebuild a church in Mexico, feed the hungry in Nicaragua, and bring Christian education to Spain. We’ve helped dig wells in Afghanistan, buy mosquito netting in Kenya, and care for the homeless elderly in Romania. 

Like Mary, we realized early on that there’s something much more precious than money, and that something is Jesus. And Jesus’ kingdom, Jesus’ work, and Jesus’ church. 

I’m not sharing this to brag, except to brag on Jesus. One Easter long ago, Jesus gave the most precious gift imaginable—his physical life in exchange for our spiritual life. His mortality for our eternity. 




What is money in light of so great a sacrifice? 

As his children, we have the privilege of giving back, in very small yet sacrificial ways, to the One who gave his all for us. 

And Mary? 

“Let her alone,” Jesus said. “Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me . . . . wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her” (v. 6, 9). 

If you haven’t experienced it already, I pray you discover the joy of wasting money for Jesus. 

What about you? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.


If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe? I'll send you twice-weekly 5-minute devotions to help nourish your soul. 
Because women need to connect with God in the craziness of life. 

Enter your email address and VALIDATE the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.



Delivered by FeedBurner



May I tell you about my new book, Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women?

 Today's women want to connect with God, but in the craziness of life, it’s just not happening. You want practical, biblical answers to situations you face every day, but you don’t have hours to pore over Scripture.

You need a resource that answers the questions you’re afraid to ask out loud. Questions like:

• Is my situation hopeless?
• If God already knows what he’s going to do, why bother to pray? 
• Why have you allowed this to happen to me? 
• No one appreciates what I do. Why shouldn’t I quit? 

Each devotion begins with a Facetime question and ends with a biblical answer wrapped in a modern day parable. Like a spiritual power bar, Hungry for God … Starving for Time is packed with enough scriptural nutrition to get you through the day. Wherever you are—in break rooms, carpool lines, or wherever you can snatch five minutes of quiet reflection—Hungry for God … Starving for Time, 5-Minute Devotions for Busy Women is for you. 

2 comments:

  1. Good words of encouragement. I wrote this once. Hope it encourages you, as well:

    A HEART TESTED

    Tell the Israelites to bring Me an offering, you are to receive the offering for Me from everyone whose heart prompts them to give. (Exodus 25:2)

    It is a test of the heart
    Offerings
    Tithes

    The Preacher rises to take the offering
    But mindsets set on earth dial
    Man! Not again!

    Like children in the playground
    Thinking “Mine! Mine! Mine!”
    With pouting lips the heart says,
    “Here, take this!”

    It is a test of the heart not the wallet

    God doesn’t need us
    We need Him
    What do we have that He has not given?

    Skills He’s established
    Abilities crafted in us
    In them we’re rewarded

    What do we do with the profit?

    A test of the heart

    It is a privilege to give
    An opportunity to join Him
    An invitation to enter into His work

    The Church is not a collection agency
    The offering not a bill
    We don’t pay the Lord

    He’s paid the highest price

    A yielded heart gives
    What would a church of yielded hearts look like?
    Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,
      Thank you so much for sharing this amazing poem. You've captured the essence of what I'm trying to say beautifully. God bless you and your writing, and thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Did this devotion speak to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment below and join the conversation.